12 February 2022

BLOOMING LOVELY

Two of my choir friends gave me an amaryllis plant at Christmas. It was already potted with a huge bulb protruding above the soil and about two inches of stalk growing from the bulb. I didn't have a chance to deal with it before Christmas, but took it out of its box in late December and followed the instructions to put it near light and keep it lightly watered.

For a week not a lot happened, but by early January the stem started slowly to grow taller. By mid January it was a good foot tall. 

By late January it was two feet tall and a bud was visible. 


The bud pushed higher and higher each day until you could almost see it grow - it was gaining about 2-3 inches each day. I put a stake in, as I was afraid the stem might not take the weight of the bloom. 


The bud pushed higher and higher above the stake. It got to three feet tall and then the bud started to pop into five segments. 






During this week, the individual segments have popped and the most beautiful blooms have appeared, each 8 inches across in diameter (the size of a bread-and-butter plate). It really is a beauty to behold. 


I had never had experience of an amaryllis before, but I certainly can recommend having one.  They provide so much joy watching them shoot up and bloom in a matter of SIX weeks. Apparently with the right care, you can cut them back to soil level and leave them outdoors over summer, then bring them back indoors before winter and start them off again in December. Fingers crossed I can get the same enjoyment next winter. 

3 comments:

Linda said...

I also got my very first Amaryllis this year. Better late than never I guess.

It was gorgeous but nowhere near as lovely as yours. Mine was Christmas red but I prefer less showy colors. Alas, when it was spent I threw it out without realizing I could keep it. Live and learn.

Flowerpot said...

I got my mum one of those but I wasn't there to see it flower, and she's not good at technology so I never got to see it - they are amazing though, aren't they?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It is a magical process.