27 September 2026

Glasgow Part 1

I've just returned from a trip to Glasgow this week.  Kay had a few days off and wanted to visit a junior doctor friend she had made about nine years ago. This friend now lives in Glasgow and has a young baby. Kay invited me to go along on the trip with her and I agreed, as I had never visited Glasgow before. 

Last Sunday evening we caught the night sleeper from London Euston station and that was an experience in itself and one I NEVER EVER want to do again, I might add. Originally I had thought it would be unusual and exciting to sleep on a train. We arrived at London Euston station at 22.30 and boarded our cabin. To say it was cramped is an understatement, but given that we were to be asleep for the whole journey, it didn't really matter. The gap between the bed and the wall on the other side was about 60 cm wide!


We did have to share a toilet with 3 other cabins, but only needed it once, so it was not worth paying an extra £70 for the privilege of a cabin with our own toilet. We settled into our night clothes and the train pulled away from the station at 23:30. We set our alarms for 07:00 the next morning as we were due to arrive in Glasgow at 07:30. Now to sleep. And therein lay the problem. Kay offered to take the top bunk and I took the bottom bunk. Pretty soon, the train started to rock sideways and I began to feel very seasick - something I have NEVER felt even on a very rough sea crossing. At times, I also got the sensation too that I was being dropped from a height, so that my stomach lurched when I landed flat again. I could also feel the vibration of the train's wheels grinding beneath me. Suffice to say, I hardly slept at all. I was aware at times that the train had stopped, maybe at signals or at a station - although no stops were scheduled. Then it would speed on, again rocking violently as it did so. At some point into the wee small hours of the morning, I must have finally drifted off to sleep only to be nudged awake by Kay at 06:20. Apparently there had been a very faint announcement that the train was making an emergency stop at Motherwell and we would all have to vacate the train in the next ten minutes. I scrambled out of bed, quickly threw clothes on in the very narrow space next to the bed and repacked my suitcase. Five minutes later, the train pulled into Motherwell and there was an exodus of passengers pouring onto the platform. I accosted one of the staff and was told the reason for this was front engine failure. Trust my luck! We were then told to pick up a commuter train on another platform, which involved heaving cases up many many stairs, across a bridge and down again. The commuter train was packed but we managed to get a seat unlike so many others who boarded it along the route to Glasgow. We arrived in Glasgow much later than scheduled and, as Kay was meeting her friend at 09:30, we decided to get a taxi to the hotel and grab a quick breakfast before making our way to the Kelvingrove Museum, where we were meeting the friend. 

Unfortunately wherever I seem to go these days, the important sights are covered by scaffolding - even when I visited the Brandenburg gate in Berlin a few years ago!!

Kelvingrove Museum


Kay went off with her friend and I wandered round the museum which was extremely interesting. I'd describe it as a cross between London's National Gallery, Natural History Museum, British Museum and V&A museum all in one. There was just so much to see. Here are a few pictures to give you a rough idea.



Stags clashing antlers during the rutting season



Egyptian sarcophagus




entrance vestibule with amazing organ - there was a half-hour organ recital at 1pm










Painting of Balmoral Castle {in the centre} by Joseph Adam


I met up with Kay and her friend for lunch in the museum, whereupon the friend had to leave, as she is expecting her second baby and was having a five-month scan that afternoon. Kay and I decided to continue going round more of the museum, but by 4pm we had hit the wall, so to speak, and decided to get back to the hotel for supper and an early night.

The hotel was situated in the West End of Glasgow opposite the Botanic Gardens and in an area where the two main universities are situated. Consequently the area was teeming with students, cafes and restaurants and was very safe to walk in at night. After supper at one of the local Italian restaurants, we headed for an early night to compensate for lack of sleep the night before.

More next week!

5 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Oh dear! The sleeper train should have been called "The Tossing and Turning Train" or "Prison Cells in Motion Train". Thanks for taking us to Kelvingrove. I am already looking forward to next week's installment when you got leathered in "The Toby Jug" on Hope Street and ended up in a street brawl with a couple of butch nuns from Cumbernauld.

Librarian said...

Goodness, what an experience! The idea of a sleeper train sound so cosy, but it really isn‘t… the only time I‘ve been on one was in the late 1980s on a train from Palermo to Florence. The shared compartment with my friend and FOUR other passengers was of course larger than what you had, but certainly not offering any more comfort. At least, we had no emergency stops!

The museum looks quite something!

Addy said...

That's not far from the truth YP.

Addy said...

It sounded so good on paper, but less so in reality.

Lynne said...

It’s the sort of trip that probably sounded great fun in the planning stage, but the reality of a night on the train less so.