07 March 2022

Fun and games

Kay and Darcy visited me for the weekend to celebrate their engagement officially. We went out on Saturday evening locally for a lovely Italian meal. They certainly make an attractive couple and I am so happy for them. It takes me back to when Greg and I were young and the world lay at our feet, full of excitement and we had lots of plans for the future.

The following day we laid flowers at the crematorium as it was the 12th anniversary since Greg died. We looked at his entry in the Book of Remembrance and "told" him about the engagement, "introduced" Darcy to him and "spoke" of the awful events unravelling in the Ukraine (Greg used to work for the BBC World Service newsroom, so, had he been still alive, this awful story would have  preoccupied him at work). It was a tearful visit for us all - even Darcy who would have loved to meet Greg. 

Afterwards, I was preparing lunch for us all and managed to slice a huge wedge into my thumb pad instead of an onion. It bled profusely down my thumb, hand and arm and took at least 20 minutes of gripping it tighty to stop the bleeding enough to apply a plaster. It continued to throb all afternoon until Kay took me to the local urgent care centre for it to be examined. Fortunately it didn't require stitches but they put steri-strips on it and bandaged it up again tightly, as it was still bleeding profusely. I have been told to keep the bandage dry and clean for seven days before I even attempt to remove it -  even then it won't have healed entirely. I was planning to do a lot of spring gardening this week as the weather was dry (for a change). It looks like that is not possible now, as well as several gym visits I had planned.   

5 comments:

Susan from the Pacific Northwest said...

Sorry about your thumb. My favorite new kitchen gadget is a hair pick with metal tines that I use to hold the onion as I chop/slice. I feel much safer.

Flowerpot said...

Oh so sorry about your poor thumb - we don't realise how much we take our fingers etc for granted until we can't use them, do we? Very glad that you saw Kay and Darcy though - take care x

AGuidingLife said...

Those opposable thumbs - a blessing and a curse! Sending fast healing wishes.

I can't believe it is 12 years, seems both like yesterday and forever ago in a different time.

Love to you all.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

When chopping onions in future may I suggest that you wear chain-mail gloves? Thumbs are very useful appendages and it is unwise to lose one. There are several other useful domestic tips I could give you.

Pixie said...

Congratulations to your daughter and your future husband to be. It's nice to hear good news. As for chopping fingers, I've been doing it far too much lately.