08 June 2020

Relapse

Supermarket wine aisles to shrink, says Bibendum buyer - Decanter
picture from decanter.com

With Covid-19 still wreaking havoc where it can, our supermarkets are getting into the fine art of making customers social-distance. Well, most of them are - there are still reports that a few have not completely mastered it. As I am classed as "vulnerable", I am getting online supermarket deliveries to avoid any social contact, so I have no personal experience of the new systems,  but I read on a local social media site, that our local supermarket has a system where, when it comes to the checkout, customers are being made to form a single queue down one aisle and only proceed to the cashier(s) when they are at the head of that queue. That allows customers to keep to the advised distance from one another in the queue, not clog up all the aisles with queues and to approach the cashiers, when directed to do so, so there is only one customer alone with a cashier at any one time. That all makes good sense and, maybe, that is what is being adopted generally. However, it seems our local supermarket has picked the alcohol aisle for the queue to wait. 

The person who reported this on social media wrote of a woman in front of them getting very twitchy and on her mobile phone to someone. As the queue slowly moved forward, the woman got more and more panicky and was heard to say they could not cope with being in the alcohol aisle any longer, as the temptation was too much. In the end, they abandoned their trolley and rushed out of the supermarket. The supposition was that the person was a recovering alcoholic and being too close to that temptation in a very slow-moving queue was too much for them. I suppose any aisle chosen for the queue is going to be a problem either in terms of whether it has popular items which would attract a large volume of customers trying to get past those queueing, or where there are temptations for others (my personal nightmare would be queuing in the chocolate aisle), but it seems the alcohol aisle could be the undoing of many a hard recovering addict. Supermarket managers please note.

5 comments:

Linda said...

They could have used the candy aisle and made as many sales. I am so sorry for that person and any person who has trouble staying clean.

My ex husband couldn't. My current partner, while not alcoholic, has trouble making "good" choices once in awhile. I do not understand it but I try hard to empathize. Standing in line with all that booze seems like an obtuse decision on someones part. Perhaps they have never had close contact with a person who suffers.

If it were the candy aisle, it would be me unable to resist. Thank goodness my habit wont kill me. How much harm can a few Peanut Butter M&M's do?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It is the same at our local Tesco superstore. You have to queue up in the alcohol aisle. No problem for me but you can't walk up and down deciding what you want as you must maintain social distancing. My nightmare aisle would be the salted peanut aisle as I have developed an addiction to both salted peanuts and peanut butter. I wonder if I could get counselling on the NHS.

Flowerpot said...

All the supermarkets round me limit the people going into a store at any one time so there is no clog up. It means queuing outside but that's preferable to be stuck inside I would think for safety reasons. X

crafty cat corner said...

As I read down your post the first thing that went through my mind was that if I was in the cake isle I would come out with a basket full of cakes, that is my weakness. lol
Briony
x

AGuidingLife said...

I've always had a problem with sanitary items being in or near the baby aisles. Every month I would smell the baby talc and try not to look at the little socks whilst shopping for my monthly reminder that I was, yet again, not pregnant. I recently had a scan because of an oddity and they found a polyp and a couple of fibroids near the tube and said matter of factly that it would have been most likely also be the reason I didn't get pregnant again. I told them I'd tried so hard to get my doctor interested. But I sobbed and sobbed in the procedure chair, I'm not sure they could understand my sterile grief.

I've sometimes considered telling the supermarkets but I'm sure many people have thing that hits the sore spot, they can't help everybody avoid them all. I think the alcohol aisle must be a big one though, and very unthoughtful of them.