19 November 2018

Decrepit

decrepit
/dɪˈkrɛpɪt/
adjective
  1. worn out or ruined because of age or neglect.

    "a row of decrepit houses"

    synonyms:dilapidatedrickety, run down, broken-downtumbledownramshackleworn outderelict, in ruins, ruined, falling apart, falling to pieces, in (a state of) disrepair, creaky, creaking, gone to rack and ruin, on its last legs; 
    • (of a person) elderly and infirm.

      "a rather decrepit old man"

      synonyms:feeble, enfeebled, infirmweak, weakened, weaklyfrail, debilitated, incapacitatedwasted, doddering, tottering, out of shape, in bad shape; 


It's over four weeks since my big operation and I am slowly getting back to normal. The pain is slowly subsiding, the scars are looking less horrific and I am generally getting more active. I am now able to perform small tasks around the house and look after my own personal hygiene. Each week sees a difference in what I can bear or do.  The only thing I am not allowed to do is lift heavy weights, so vacuuming the carpets or carrying heavy shopping is not possible at the moment (hurrah).

At the weekend I decided it was high time I got back in the car to see if I could manage to drive. Not only that, I was worried the car battery might give up the ghost after so many weeks left unattended in the damp weather we have had recently. Surprisingly my 19-year-old car sprang into action as soon as I switched on the ignition and we were away.

I'd strategically stuffed a pillow between me and the seat belt to cushion any sudden braking, but I drove like a granny, as I was worried about opening up the scar or doing myself some sort of mischief en route.

I must say I have never noticed this before, but suddenly cars were right on my bumper expecting me to go faster. On narrow roads where cars were parked either side, cars came roaring towards me expecting me to pull over,when technically they did not have right of way, so I had to keep negotiating stop and start manoeuvres, where once I would have nipped through the gap in time. To my shame I have in the past wondered why the car in front was creeping along, when I wanted to go faster, or forced myself through a gap first when confronted by a doddery old driver coming towards me. Now I was that doddery old (well, hang on,  not so old) driver. 

It'll make me more tolerant in future. Next time I am behind a slow-moving car, I'll muse whether it's because the driver has not long ago had surgery or suffers from debilitating arthritis, so they cannot move as fast as they once could. I'll cut them some slack instead of getting annoyed. 

Meanwhile, give me a few more weeks and I'll be zooming around as per normal.

2 comments:

Linda d said...

I've been wondering how things were going. Moving along swimmingly it seems. Good for you!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Nice to hear that you are gradually getting back to normal ADDY. These days there's another reason why the car driver in front might seem slow or doddery - they are on their bloody mobile phone or texting or checking out their little screens for some other reason.