24 January 2018

Clearing Out

The days of January are flying by. We're almost one twelfth of the way through 2018 already. I've had little time to stand still and contemplate my navel.  It's been a busy month.

Following the death of my mother and the Christmas season, I have been on an upward spiral of activity. There is so much paperwork to do announcing my mother's death, or the transfer of utility or financial accounts over to me, or the application for the necessary probate. Telephone calls, emails, letters, bills and forms have suffocated me on a daily basis. In addition to that, I have been clearing out a lifetime's collection of clothes, documents, ornaments and other possessions from my mother's retirement flat. You would imagine a one-bedroom, one-living room flat would be a piece of cake to empty. Not a bit! Because of the compactness of it, every available space has been filled with what once used to be in a four-bedroom house. I have already filled something like twelve bin bags of clothes, bedding and ornaments to give to charity and that's just from the bedroom!  




Kay came to help me last weekend. Sifting through every shelf or drawer or cupboard has brought gasps of amazement from both of us. One old battered suitcase tied up with a bit of string revealed many birth or death certificates dating back to 1865. There were 



Victorian death announcements rimmed in black with carved out weeping angels. Photographs of my grandfather in a huge crowd of colleagues (male only) circa 1920 taken at the bank where he worked. A letter written by my mother to my grandmother on the day I was born. Such a treasure trove of things. Too many to list here.

Every thing is assigned to  one of three piles........... to keep, to give to charity or to throw away. I have tried to limit what we keep, as my house cannot take much more. My daughter has already said she would like some bits of furniture for the day she eventually moves into her own house, so I have to find room temporarily for those items in our garage or cellar. Obviously precious things, heirlooms or  sentimental things are kept but where to put them in my house? So I spend mornings at my mother's flat sifting and then afternoons back at my house, trying to shoe-horn them into a space here. The charity pile is enormous. The twelve bin bags in the bedroom are soon to be joined by even more when we start tackling the lounge and kitchen next week.

I feel guilty that I am disposing of more than I am keeping. I can feel my mother whispering at the back of my head as I assign yet something else to the charity or rubbish pile. "Sorry, mum" I say to the empty room around me. "I just can't possibly take this." It was beginning to bug me quite a bit the other day. When I drove back onto my forecourt and lugged several bags of "keep" stuff out of the car, I looked across to the front door. There lay a six-inch long white feather on the mat. There is a theory that when a loved one dies, the sign of a feather is a message from them, reassuring you. I have written about it before here. My logical side tells me it is a load of hokum. There's a perfectly good  explanation - a white pigeon or magpie probably flew over the house and jettisoned a feather as it did so. My weaker side likes to think it was mum saying "Don't worry, I perfectly understand. You cannot keep everything."




8 comments:

Linda d said...

I think that is exactly what she is saying. She would not want to complicate or make your life more difficult.

What a treasure you found in the case!

Linda d said...

I think that is exactly what she is saying. She would not want to complicate or make your life more difficult.

What a treasure you found in the case!

Linda d said...

I think that is exactly what she is saying. She would not want to complicate or make your life more difficult.

What a treasure you found in the case!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

How beautiful to find the feather.
I think it might be a message from you mum...
Hugs for this difficult time, and the kindest of regards.
Anna :o]

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I think back to what my parents did with the grandparents things as I go through this. The paperwork just goes on and on and it doesn't help that my father kept every bank statement etc ever! The shedding im doing!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I am also a logical, pragmatic person but I believe in the birds. They have given me signs.

Well done on getting as far as you have with your mother's belongings. They are only things. The real essence of her is in your heart and in your memory, just as it is with Kay.

John Going Gently said...

Just catching up after an age

Flowerpot said...

What a difficult task, Addy. I am dreading having to do the same with my mother's house, but I love the idee of the feather - find that very comforting. Take care.