08 April 2016

Spring has sprung (I think)



The daffodils on my coffee table  look bright and cheery.  They not only brighten my room but my soul. They herald that winter is over (I hope) and that spring is here (I think). It's been a busy few weeks. I've been frantically cleaning the house to within an inch of its life before I am incapacitated by surgery, as well as sorting out appointments for me and my mother which will not be possible for a while after my surgery. 

Kay had a cold - the monumental version of all colds - which saw her climb a mountain in the Lake District on a reunion with her old university medic friends. She puffed and wheezed up the slopes, barely able to catch her breath until one of her medic friends loaned her their asthma inhaler. Three days later, back home again, she saw her GP who diagnosed pneumonia! She's been on antibiotics, steroids and an inhaler ever since, but the good news is that she is recovering. She only took one day off work too. Of course she was striking this week. As I have said before, the junior doctors' strike has never been about money, but about the appallingly long hours the junior doctors work. Even being off sick was not an option to her when she was so ill. It was therefore very upsetting when an ignorant pig   a passer-by in a tweed jacket shouted at her that she was a lazy bastard while she was on the picket line.

The weather cannot make up its mind. The other day, I went off to a hairdresser's appointment in blazing sunshine. At the very same time, it started to rain heavily. Crazy. Of course I was not dressed appropriately for rain. I came out of the salon looking like a model (I can hear you laughing, you know) and ended up back at my car in the car park like a drowned rat. That's par for the course when you've been to the hairdresser. Yep, Spring has definitely sprung.


7 comments:

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

They're lovely daffs. I got caught out yesterday without an umbrella too.

Shadow said...

I hope that spring has truly sprung for you. Here we've had a rather sudden, deep cold with rain and mist, I think we're turning seasons too...

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I do so hope spring is here - can't wait to stow the (just in case) boots I take back and forth to work (in case its frosty in the morning) back in the under-stairs cupboard.

Although not (often) taking part in blogland for several months, I have followed your story Addy and will be thinking of you when the op comes round.

Fully supportive of Kay too.

Kind regards
Anna :o]

Nota Bene said...

I am in total support of Kay and her colleagues...I cannot understand how they can be worked to the bone as it is demanded they do...surely one of the greatest achievements in any country in the world has been the National Health Service, and we have a government determined to destroy it.

auntiegwen said...

Poor Kay, hope she recovers soon x

Maggie May said...

I feel Spring has definitely sprung too and I'm enjoying the tulips and the fact I can turn the heating right down.
Maggie x

nappy valley girl said...

Poor Kay, how unlucky to get an unsupportive passer by! I think most people support the strike. Certainly my husband and all the senior doctors we know. I do hope it is resolved soon though - preferably by JH moving to another department......