30 March 2016

As you (don't) like it.

I've never particularly liked the character of Phil Mitchell in the soap Eastenders nor been remotely attracted to his looks, but  I have to say I am impressed hook, line and sinker with his portrayal of a man in the grip of alcohol. A lot of actors find it difficult playing a drunk and usually manage to overdo it. Steve McFadden who plays the part of Phil Mitchell doesn't even have to say or do anything.  He has captured the sheer look of an alcoholic - the little scrunched-up piggy eyes and the inane, vacant expression. Of course the frustration he causes all around him when he fails to deliver on his promise to quit alcohol is also spot-on. Ten out of ten for a sterling performance. He plays it like it is.

8 comments:

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Must be very challenging to act. Soap actors don't really get the credit they are due generally do they?

Nota Bene said...

Must be hard to watch? I've never watched any of the soaps, as I always thought them unrealistic...maybe I should think again

auntiegwen said...

Not seen East Enders since the Den & Angie years! God, I'm old

Rab said...

My wife has been saying the same thing. I don't watch the soaps but a few times she has asked me to look at his performances and as you said it spot on. It is all in the look.

Maggie May said...

It's quite scary to see the way that families can be affected by an alcoholic.
East Enders can be very realistic, and the acting is so good.
However, there is such depressing stuff going on and more murders get committed in Albert Square than the whole of London!
Maggie x

nappy valley girl said...

I agree he's not an attractive character but he's always been a good actor. I haven't watched EE for a few years (I used to watch regularly) - he must have fallen off the wagon again, as I remember his drink problem years ago. That's realistic too, I guess.

Flowerpot said...

I've never watched it - I'm hooked on the Archers with the Rob and Helen story...!

Furtheron said...

I'm not an Eastenders fan but my wife is an avid watcher so I see it. I agree with you his performance is spot on. I wonder how many households there are where that performance is leading to any change? I hope some people see a mirror reflected back off the tv and do something about it