02 January 2016

A rather belated Happy New Year

Christmas always comes and goes in a flash in our house. I spend weeks, if not months preparing for it, making lists, ticking things off lists, buying, sorting, wrapping, organising and, come the day, it is over so fast before you can blink an eyelid. Presents unwrapped, food gobbled and too much to nibble or drink.

New Year is usually different.  Kay is usually off somewhere with her friends and I sit up until midnight, some years with my mother, at other times on my own. It tends to be a non-event. Sometimes I even go to bed rather than wait up for something to happen at midnight (turn into a frog maybe). 

This year was different. Kay was working both on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, so did not have time to come home to celebrate with her old schoolfriends, as she usually does. One of my close friends, who lives in Brighton, had invited me and another close friend of mine down for an overnight stay at New Year, so I jumped at the chance to catch up with them. I was also animal-free for the first New Year in decades ages, so was free to just up and off without having to make arrangements for cat- or dog-sitting.

It was a very magical different sort of New Year for me, celebrating with my two closest friends. We ate a lovely meal, sipped fine wine, chatted and played a hilarious card game into the wee small hours. The wind howled and the rain lashed outside, but we were all warm and cosy by a real fire. Happy New Year to you all.

 

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful NYE with friends! I hope 2016 continues to be filled with friends, warmth, and laughter for you!

AGuidingLife said...

Happy New Year and I hope there are bright days ahead for you xxx

Maggie May said...

That sounded a really enjoyable way to spend the New Year.
Hoping 2016 will be a good year for you and me.
Maggie x

Maggie May said...

I'm back again.... just to say thank you. I read some of your posts of 2010 and I felt immediately *in tune* with your descriptions and with the way I feel today and the things I've felt since Sept 5th.
I will come back to it when I feel the need.
Just needed to tell you that it was helpful.
Maggie x

nappy valley girl said...

Happy new year! I'm glad you had a nice time on NYE. (Your fireplace looks really similar to mine by the way....)

Furtheron said...

Sounds great. Ours was what has become a tradition over the last decade. Before then we always went to a raucous NYE house party at some friends or other. I remember at least one after I got sober which in the end I left early on the pretence of taking my daughter home as she was too tired. Luckily various wife swapping events in the company of my wife's friends ended up meaning that the normal hosts were no longer together etc. So out tradition is... cup of tea and a mince pie watching Jools Holland's Hootanany! We wait for 12 o'clock wish everyone happy new year, turn over watch the fireworks and then go to bed! This year my daughter who is no party animal and her boyfriend declined a house party and came back to ours after a curry and so that was nice.

Happy New Year to you I hope it is a really great one for you.

Flowerpot said...

Sounds perfect, Addy - glad you had such a good time! X

auntiegwen said...

Wishing you all good things for 2016 x