09 May 2011

Off my trolley

The rot has set in.........I had two most definite senior moments today and it's only lunchtime. OMG it's the slippery slope. I've turned sixty and morphed into a little old lady.

First I was at a garden centre and just returning my trolley to the trolley park, when an elderly man asked for my help. He had put a pound coin into the trolley to release it only to find he had put the coin into the wrong trolley (the one behind) and pulled out two joined together. I asked if he had another pound coin - I was going to suggest he insert this in the first trolley, separate the two trolleys and then return the second trolley. Just as he was looking to see if he had another coin, a woman walked past and threw over her shoulder " All you have to do is put both trolleys back, release the coin, then insert it in the first trolley." Derrr. Why didn't I think of that?

Second senior moment came when I called in at the supermarket on the way home. I loaded up the stuff onto the conveyor belt, packed and put the bags onto my supermarket trolley and then got into a complicated conversation with the cashier about school vouchers and how to reclaim some that had not been issued in the past. I then marched off with the trolley full of bags and was almost out of the door, when a very understanding store assistant caught up with me and reminded me I had not yet paid! Beetroot-faced doesn't describe it!

Both incidents involving trolleys...........which is nature's way of saying I am off mine!

14 comments:

Cadan Henry said...

actually very humorous. i think we call them senior moments when they happen to anyone over 40. that seems to be the age 20 years olds believe life is basically over.

i frequently drive off with packages on the hood of my truck, forget to zip my fly, for example. i do however, pay for the things at the store with a smile, put my wallet away then begin to leave - without taking the stuff i just paid for... my pride assures me i just have more important things on my mind...

Irene said...

Just call it a general sort of absentmindedness that can strike at any age. I don't think it has anything to do with how old you are. I remember doing these kinds of things when my kids were young and I was very busy and preoccupied. Don't worry about a thing, you're not demented yet :o)

Nota Bene said...

Oh I've been doing that since I was fifteen...you may be off your trolley, but you're not yet a basket case...

Eliza said...

You are not alone, and I'm younger than you - I'm having lots of senior moments recently.

DD's Diary said...

I'm afraid I've done better - I've done the shopping, put it back in the trolley, wheeled the trolley out to the carpark ..... and had absolutely no idea at all where I'd parked the car. Not even an inkling. In fact it happens quite often. Can I sit next to you in the Senior Moments Rest Home?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!! Is this what we have to look forward to?! I'm already off my trolley at 41 so I suspect there isn't much hope for me, LOL.

CJ xx

Flowerpot said...

I have senior moments all the time!

AGuidingLife said...

I had to go to the police once to ask them to help me find my parked car and regularly pay for stuff and leave it behind. I once found some shopping still in trolley under packed and paid for. The quandry being should I go back and explain and risk being prosecuted or just leave feeling very guilty. Big shopping centres are the worst have twice wandered out of Debenhams still holding something unpaid for and dashed back in quick. I wonder if you can blog from prison?!

Ellen said...

You are not off your trolley - it's those wonky wheeled, sticky braked trollies - they are the bain of my shopping trips. Grrrrrr

David said...

I remember once going into the kitchen with a pair of socks in one hand and some empty sandwich packets in the other. I put the socks in the rubbish bin and was popping the wrappers in the laundry basket when some dim light in a basement part of my brain came on for a second to alert me something was not right.

I so identify with forgetting to pay...

David said...

I remember once going into the kitchen with a pair of socks in one hand and some empty sandwich packets in the other. I put the socks in the rubbish bin and was popping the wrappers in the laundry basket when some dim light in a basement part of my brain came on for a second to alert me something was not right.

I so identify with forgetting to pay...

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I have senior moments too. I think I alwqays have - but they're getting worse!

Anna :o]

Linda Bartee Doyne said...

Oh... how I love this post. I'm 62 and have senior moments all the time. The other day I pulled into the gas station and went inside to get a bottle of water before I started pumping the gas. I got the water, got back into my car and drove off. No gas.

I have to make lists. I have lists for everything. The problem is -- I forget to take the list with me! So I got a nice little hard covered notbook-- about the size of an index card. It's so pretty. I write my lists in there, thinking I won't forget to put it into my purse. It works SOMETIMES -- but usually not.

You are not alone.

Penny Pincher said...

Ha ha - 60 now eh? Definitely on the slippery slope . . Not enough space here to mention all my trolley mad moments. Am just thankful that not been arrested for nearly leaving shop with unpaid handbag, collecting my card from ATM but walking off before cash dispensed and filling the fuel tank £45 gas but no cash or cards on me !! blushing f