28 August 2023

Battersea Power Station



A few weeks ago, I had a hospital appointment in central London, so Kay and I decided to make a day of it and visit the new Battersea Power station complex. I say "new" but it has been open since October 2022. I just hadn't had a chance to go along and see it before now, although I often pass it on the train.

Work began on the power station in 1929 and was designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. By 1935 the first turbine hall A was completed and put into operation. Work on a second turbine hall was halted because of the Second World War. RAF pilots used the smoke from the chimneys to guide them home, as did the Luftwaffe to bomb London. In 1955, the second turbine hall B was completed. In 1980 the Art Deco building was awarded Grade II listed status, but sadly in 1983 the power station ceased to generate electricity and was decommissioned. It lay idle for many years while various investors looked at it but decided against it. Finally, in 2012, Malaysian property investors bought it  to create a new community of homes, shops, cafes, restaurants, cultural venues and open space for London.



Many of the hi
gh-rise flats, which have been built around the power station, with rents of up to £5,000 per month, overlook the Thames, others overlook the adjacent railway lines and many overlook the rooftops of South London. There are offices in the complex too, but can only obviously be accessed by those who work there. The shops inside the actual power station are not the usual High Street chains, but upmarket ones like Cartier, Rolex, Apple, Chanel, Lego, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and too many many more to mention. There is even a Polestar car showroom. The shops are arranged on three levels around what was the original two turbine halls and the bit in the middle is where the boiler hall would have been. There is a food arcade on one of the levels with very many different world cuisines on offer, as well as street food outside on the riverbank.



I rather liked the juxtaposition of the old Art Deco brick building with modern steel and glass. 

The most exciting bit of all is Lift 109 which is a lift that ascends one of the tall chimneys and gives the most amazing 360 degree views of London. It is pricey at £23 per person but well worth the information display beforehand and then the views from the top. We stayed up there for 8 minutes before the lift descended giving ample opportunity to pick out landmarks and take photos.

the lift inside the chimney



the view from above







7 comments:

Tasker Dunham said...

Looks incredible, but very expensive.
The second turbine hall does not seem to have been in production for long.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I have seen the development from afar. Thanks for taking us inside. I know it's mostly about money but a lot of human ingenuity was involved too and how many man and woman hours of labour?

Anonymous said...

How interesting, I’d like to visit sometime

Review said...

Thanks for teaching us so much with your blog

TripleA said...

Every now and then I come back and read the first couple of years of your blog. I first stumbled upon it drunk about 7 years ago. I read it out of interest, then I read it to try to scare myself out of drinking. Now I read it every year or so to not only to remind myself why I stay sober but to also remind myself what I would be putting my husband through if I do drink again. I credit it as one of the main reasons I'm 3.5 years sober at 35 years old. Thank you for sharing with the world what you did.

ADDY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ADDY said...

To TripleA. Thank you so much your comment and I am humbled that I have been instrumental in helping you become sober. I congratulate you on your strength and courage to remain so. It is not easy, I know from my husband, but the alternative is far far worse, as I am sure you are aware. Watching someone die from this wretched illness is not for the faint-hearted. I would not wish that on anyone. I wish you well in the future and thank you again for your comments.They really touched me.