20 June 2017

Dearly beloved

I do enjoy a nice wedding. It's an excuse to get all dressed up and meet friends or family you haven't seen in years. A chance to catch up. A chance to see how grown-up the children have got or how decrepit the elders.

When I was small and cute, I was asked to be bridesmaid on five separate occasions. By the time I was in my thirties I had been to quite a few weddings as a guest, not to mention my own during that intensely hot summer of 1976.  Compared to me, Kay has been devoid of any weddings. There simply hasn't been a single wedding in our circle for the last 25 years or more. At the grand old age of 25, she has NEVER  been a bridesmaid and the first ever wedding she even attended was three weeks ago when we crept into the back of the church to watch a not-so-close friend of hers  from primary school days marry at our local church. (We just happened to hear about it by chance and thought as it was a five-minute walk away, we would go, but we were not officially invited.) A few days ago we were invited to be guests at a family wedding in the Midlands. Kay's first ever proper wedding invitation.

I suppose it is a sign of the times that weddings are not as commonplace as they used to be. Cohabiting is far more common that it was forty or fifty years ago. Rightly so, people marry only when they really want to, but it is no longer a given and therefore the ceremony to cement the relationship becomes a rare event. Having children outside marriage is no longer taboo either  (I so weep at the stories that unfold on Long Lost Family, where unmarried mothers were forced to put their babies up for adoption).  Shotgun weddings are a thing of the past. In fact, the little page boy at our family wedding was the couple's two-year-old son. 

I've noticed the wording of the service has changed a lot too. No more thees and thous and plighting troth. No more lawful wedded husband or wife. I was quick to abandon the obey at my service in 1976 (something I think Mr Alcoholic Daze may have later regretted), but it was still peppered with thees and thous.   There's still the usual titter and nervousness when the congregation is asked if there is any just cause why those two people should not be married but on the whole there's a lot more jollity and less solemnity from the vicar.  

For Kay's first proper wedding this was the best. It was perfect in every way..... perfect weather, beautiful bride, handsome groom, adorable children, lovely food, incredible venue, hilarious speeches.... the perfect day for the perfect couple.



7 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It's nice to plight one's troth once in a while.
A prefect day? Does that mean there were prefects at the wedding rather than ushers? Sorry ADDY, I can't help myself.

Flowerpot said...

I can't even remember my wedding vows but I know there weren't any thees or thous. It was in a registry office in Gibraltar! That wedding looked wonderful though - and everyone having a lovely time. Fabulous pics X

nappy valley girl said...

Is that you in the pic? You look gorgeous!
I love a good wedding. Haven't seen to one in ages, after a spate of them 10-15 years ago my friends are now nearly all married. Starting to wonder if the next ones will be my friends' children getting married (or my own children - arrgh!).

ADDY said...

YP. I have corrected it now. Would you believe I proof-read it several times? Obviously not well enough!

ADDY said...

Thank you NP girl. Yes, it's me - a rare photoshoot!

Terry said...

I have a 25-year old son. So I understand you. I used to go to weddings to photograph them. 😳 All the best, Treey.

AGuidingLife said...

lovely picture (both of them) but especially you. Love a wedding, not been to one in years, in fact I think the last one was my own!!!