11 January 2017

Blooming marvellous

I live in London - one of the biggest cities in the world. I have lived in my current house on a wide tree-lined avenue for the last 29 years, having moved here shortly before Kay was born. I've seen many changes to the area over those 29 years,  in terms of new housing, changes in shop ownership in the High Street, introduction of one-way traffic systems, new night clubs and new schools to name but a few. But recently just a wee bit down the road from me, one community-spirited man has started planting flowers underneath the chestnut trees on the public grass verges that line the bit of the avenue outside where he lives. 




He has even planted herbs and put a small sign (and two pairs of scissors) beside them, inviting people to snip off any herbs they fancy as they pass (you can just make out the bright green and red scissor handles in the front of the photo). 



It makes me feel warm inside. We might be a huge city, but it takes one person to make all the difference. I hope his idea catches on and some jobsworth at the local council doesn't decide to slap a fine on him for contradiction of some by-law or another.


9 comments:

Flowerpot said...

Oh I think that's a really lovely idea - thanks for posting, Addy and happy new year X

Maggie May said...

All it takes is one person to do something so up-lifting. It's a pleasure to read this!
Maggie x

Linda d said...

Love, love, love the idea. Reminds me of the little libraries that people are putting in their front yards only better.

Valerie said...

How kind to leave scissors and a note, your neighbour must be really goodhearted. I remember one of our neighbours planting bulbs at the foot of a tree, unfortunately they didn't last long. I'm not sure if the council got rid or naughty kids.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic post! And what a wonderful blog! Thank you for having the courage to write about such a personal issue. I have been married for 13 years, and for the last 11, my husband has been an on-again off-again alcoholic. And my best friend in the whole world recently moved to Wales (from Tucson, Arizona)... So this blog comforts me, gives me a glimpse into another wife's life married to an alcoholic, and makes me smile - with the connection to Britian.

John said...

Nice one Addy. I've seen similar things in villages in Suffolk but lovely surprise that such a thing can happen in London. God I miss the place.

Jeanette said...

That is very nice!

Swennyandcher said...

How wonderful! Finding community in a large city. Love that!

Swennyandcher said...

How wonderful! Finding community in a large city. I love that!