27 June 2017

Courage (but not of the Dutch kind)




I am sure many of you will have heard recently that Ant - of Ant and Dec fame - has gone into rehab for an alcohol and prescription drug addiction. As most alcoholics live in a state of denial, it takes immense courage at the best of times to admit to yourself that you need help.  Incredibly more so, if you admit it to the entire world and its grandma, who are largely responsible for your bread and butter. Only those who have had such an addiction or families who have truly lived alongside such an addiction can appreciate what this means.   I can well imagine what his wife is going through and wish her the courage (as well as him) to cope with this. Let us hope the rehab works and he does not relapse when he comes out, as is most often the case. Being in the public eye will make it a thousand times worse.

8 comments:

Flowerpot said...

I hadn't heard that, but as you say, that does take immense courage - and I wish them both all the best.

Maggie May said...

Yes..... immense courage and I wish him well.
Maggie x

Valerie said...

I hadn't heard, either. Good luck to him and his wife. He will make it, I'm sure.

AGuidingLife said...

accepting help is a step in the right direction.

TripleA said...

I can't believe I'm up to date. I've just read your entire blog over a few evenings.

Terry said...

Mental illness can happen to anyone. It doesn't matter how rich and famous you are. It's a shame, really.

Jim Simmonds said...

Hi Addy - it's good revisiting your blog and knowing that you are still going strong. I read your blog in the past but have been busy last few months. I have started a blog about my attempt to moderate my alcohol consumption https://dealingwithalcoholdependency.wordpress.com it's early days but I remember your blog and much of what you have written has stayed with me and probably made me realise I needed to do something. I'm blogging under an alias to protect friends and family but suffice it to say you have been supportive in the past and it feels good to be following you once again.
Jim

Furtheron said...

I wish him best of luck i felt so low, depressed and washed up the day I walked into rehab... best thing I ever did