03 February 2015

I'll get it done if it kills me


I've decided it's a new year and about time I try to envigorate all the plans I had to get the house up to scratch since Greg died. Knocked back last autumn by the setback of the rain coming through the roof, coupled with the untimely accident of  my mother's broken knee, I got off track somewhat and everything was put on hold. Onwards and upwards, I have decided it can wait no longer.

I've shortlisted a roofer to come and sort the roof out and blow the guarantee with the original roofer who put it on 2 years ago. Work on that starts in a week or so. I'm getting someone to sort out my front door which suddenly won't shut properly without slamming it so hard, it causes the whole neighbourhood to quake. I'm also trawling for builders to do a bit of cementwork between brickwork, where it has come a bit loose. I've arranged for someone to repair my fence which started to loll to one side, when my neighbour decided to have their garden landscaped and had a go at it from their side. Once that's done, I'm getting two new bathrooms. I'm finally sick of the Sixties-style yellow suite and grey tiles in one of them and peach suite and white tiles in the other. Why is it Vintage can be OK in clothes but not in baths? So I am a busy bee.

I'm a little perturbed  by the amount of unsolicited mail  I'm getting offering me life insurance or urging me to consider saving for my own funeral. Is someone trying to tell me something?

12 comments:

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I too am a procrastinator (maybe apathetic?) with regards to household tasks. A hole in the kitchen ceiling - from a bath pipe leak - has been there for over a year - I guess I have just got used to it. The insurance payout has long been spent...

The kitchen itself has been a third decorated for the last six months or so - my excuse, can't go further til ceiling repaired... and so it goes - or doesn't as the case may be.

As yet I have not been problemed with unsolicited mail re saving for my funeral. I am sure this will happen, soon...

Kind regards
Anna :o]

Anonymous said...

You are busy! I think having jobs done to the house somehow makes us turn a corner; like a change is a good as a rest, that kind of thing.

Those calls/emails/snail mails are a nuisance - I get lots telling me I've had an accident and I must put in a claim, then others about PPI and insurance policies I haven't even heard of!

CJ x

afterthefire1964 said...

Oh, I am doing this too! And also had a big whole open up in my kitchen due to a lousy roof repair! After my husband died, I immediately set to work with some of the life insurance money re-doing the bathrooms and kitchen - all stuff my husband said he would do but never did! Now with rest of the money, I got a brand new roof and new air conditioning and now am having the house repainted and patio built. My mom told me that the life insurance money was my husband's way of finally getting that "Honey do" list done. Made me feel better about spending it! Good luck on the house stuff - it feels so refreshing to get it done!

Nota Bene said...

You are a busy thing...your home will be transformed...excellent start to the year

Flowerpot said...

Go for it Addy!

the veg artist said...

You are brave. After several poor experiences with builders I am putting things off for as long as I can bear!

the veg artist said...

Having said above that I put things off for as long as possible, our bath has cracked over the weekend, so procrastination is over!!!

Furtheron said...

AGE UK keep sending me their bloody newsletter now... super...

Furtheron said...

Oh yes tip - the cementwork between brickwork is called "pointing" - you'll sound more knowlegable now and hopefully they'll treat you with more respect

Mathew Robinson said...

It's great that you are back on track with taking care of your house, starting with your roof. I hope that the roofer you short-listed was up to the job of repairing whatever problem it had, so you don't have to worry about it the next time a storm passes by. Anyway, good luck on your future plans. Good day!

Mathew Robinson @ Browns Roofing Company

Unknown said...

Hi Addy, this is a really interesting and powerful blog.

I work for Drink Wise, an organisation which works to raise awareness of alcohol harm, and ways to reduce the negative impacts of alcohol.

It would be great if you can support our current campaign, which gives people a chance to have their say on the impact of alcohol via the #DrinkWiseChallenge: goo.gl/pzhb4P.

Hope to be able to work with you at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Rachael

Unknown said...

I recently contacted a doctor named Ekaka i find his email: ekakaspelltemple@yahoo.com on the internet so i decided to contact him for help in my relationship he ask me to send him my details which i did after that he told me that the gods revealed something to him and he told me everything that was revealed to him and he told me what he was going to do that after three days my relationship became sweet again and the person that was behind my problem came to beg me for forgiveness which was my mother in-law. i and my love are happy again including my mother in-law and we are planning to have a party for this Easter... thanks to Dr. Ekaka