24 September 2013

Ten green bottles

I know nothing about the programme that is going to be on ITV at 9pm tonight (Living with Paul Gascoigne), but am hoping it might give those of you who have never lived with alcoholism an insight into what it is like to live with an alcoholic.

Probably living on cloud cuckoo-land, Gascoigne may either not admit he has a  problem (denial) or think he can beat it (denial). He'll more than likely end up on a mortuary slab as another statistic (most probable outcome).  Alcoholics always seem to think they are going to lick this awful disease, but 90% never manage it. As one falls there is always another in denial to take their place.

This programme will be worth watching if only because (for me) it'll be like picking at a scab to relive the nightmare.

7 comments:

Nota Bene said...

I suspect we will watch it in due course...it's a tragedy really, but if it makes people think, that will be a good thing

Furtheron said...

I will watch it - possibly not tonight but I'll record it...

I lived at least 10 years in the first denial and at least another 10 in the second. Still happy to be in the 10% today but I know from watching others around me fail I can't take that for granted for a second.

Flowerpot said...

I didnt see it was we were out but I gather it was a heartbreaking programme.

janerowena said...

I am 20 years away from having an alcoholic husband but I still can't bear to watch any programmes about it.

janerowena said...

PS reading your blog was my own version of picking at the scab.

Saz said...

picking a scab...great analogy adi..
i watched to i laughed, thoiugh not often and cried a lot...for me, for gazza...and for sheryl....and the kids, my kids too..

phew hard to see eh??

xxx

Saz said...

picking a scab...great analogy adi..
i watched to i laughed, thoiugh not often and cried a lot...for me, for gazza...and for sheryl....and the kids, my kids too..

phew hard to see eh??

xxx