07 September 2011

Good times, bad times.

Kay did the last day of her summer job yesterday and I went to visit her at work. Embarrassing? Not really, she has been working here, so I played the tourist.


She has actually been on the bridge itself, working for a tourist photo company taking photos of tourists, digitally enhancing them on computer and then selling them as photos, fridge magnets, keyrings or mouse mats, when the tourists complete their visit. She has made a lot of new friends and enjoyed the variety and the stresslessness of the job. She also did a few shifts for the same company at the nearby Tower of London, but had to wait to get special security clearance in case she ran off with the Crown Jewels.


She's also been taking driving lessons, so there has not been much time to relax, but that's how she prefers it, otherwise she gets bored (like mother, like daughter!) She's off to uni again next week to start the third year of her medical course and will be spending four days of the week in hospital doing ward rounds and only one day a week in lectures. It'll be quite a change from what she has been doing all summer, but still having lots of people-contact, which she loves. I've loved having her home all these weeks, but am happy to see her pursuing her dreams, so I am OK with her leaving again.


This does not seem to be my week. I received a letter from the local council this morning fining me £110 for being "parked" in the High Street last week in a non-designated parking space. The truth of it was that having cleared out stuff from the cellar last week I had stopped the car for all of three minutes on double yellow lines while I delivered several heavy box-loads to a charity shop. The nearby parking bays in the High Street were all taken (they never seem to be free when I drive past) and the nearest proper car park was too far away to go back and forth with heavy boxes. All I did was just go from my car boot into the shop several times and then drove off. As I say, it took about three minutes. If I contest the fine and they still insist on me paying (and I go over the 28 days' payment deadline) I have to pay £165. What with the cut telephone wire last week, it has been an expensive week, with nothing to show for it!! Grrrrrr.

8 comments:

AGuidingLife said...

Fighting parking tickets is too stressful. Grrrrrr. It was be less annoying if you couldnt point out 10 people that continually get away with it whilst those who 'rarely'' or with 'good reason' do not. That job sounds wonderful, I fancy that. I'm sure the young adults of today do so much cooler things than we ever did....or maybe you were very cool as well as Kay :)

Unknown said...

The little things...

Almost American said...

Starting her third year already?? Wow . . .

Furtheron said...

Contest it - if the charity shop can vouch for you and there are no loading restrictions you were "loading" not parked...Highway Code point 247

"Loading and unloading. Do not load or unload where there are yellow markings on the kerb and upright signs advise restrictions are in place (see 'Road markings'). This may be permitted where parking is otherwise restricted. On red routes, specially marked and signed bays indicate where and when loading and unloading is permitted."

DogLover said...

I agree with Furtheron: if the charity shop can give you a letter confirming what you say, send the Council a letter of your own with it and ask what other way a feeble woman can be expected to get the goods to the shop! If the officials have any sense, they'll withdraw the fine; they won't want to risk being seen to be uncaring in court.

Nota Bene said...

Are you sure it's her third year?...I remember her going off to Uni as if it was only yesterday. I can't believed I cycled past her every day this summer, and she never waved!

Can't comment on the parking ticket. Bastards.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Iwould contest the fine Addie - you were unloading and it was for charity! A x

Spencer Park said...

Contest the fine - as said previously you were unloading.