13 April 2011

Comfortable slippers

I met up with my two best friends yesterday - I have known them for 42 years. We met at university all those years ago. They were studying French and I German and we got on so well we have stayed in touch ever since. We have grown over the intervening years from impoverished students to wives, career women, (in two cases) mothers and (in two cases) widows. We only get to meet about once in six months because our lifestyles and geography of our homes - one in Brighton, one in Hertfordshire and me in London - dictate that, however even that is more often than in the past when busy jobs and growing children demanded more of our time. When we do meet up, it is like an old comfortable pair of slippers that has been missing from our lives. We never tire of things to talk about and slip into conversation as if we had never been apart. To me they are the sisters I never had.



One was 60 in 2009, I reached 60 in November 2010 and yesterday we were celebrating the 60th birthday of the one in Hertfordshire, my bridesmaid and Kay's godmother. We had lunch here - a treat paid for by her husband who was also present. We were wined and dined at this gorgeous venue and lunch lasted for well over two hours. Then we wandered around St Pancras International Station taking in all the changes that have been made here over recent years. It is of course getting ready to be the Gateway to the Olympic Games and here is a picture to prove it.


St Pancras Station is a really magnificent example of Victorian architecture and well worth a visit on its own, let alone the adjacent British Library which we also visited for late afternoon tea while we watched the commuters scrurrying home at end of their working day.


So thank you, my friends, for a truly wonderful day together. I throughly enjoyed it.

13 comments:

DogLover said...

That sounds a great occasion! How pleasant for you.

I hate London, having worked there for 21 years in my youth, and what I see nowadays makes it even less appealing. But I have gone to the Silver Vaults in Chancery Lane recently and, if anyone is interested in silver and wants half a day of pleasure, I recommend a visit.

Eliza said...

So glad you had a lovely day. It's great when you can meet with old friends and feel you've never been apart.

Spencer Park said...

I have one main friend from University who I only see every few years but, when we do get together, it always feels like we've never been apart.

I love friends like that - they are the best!

Glad you had a good time!

AGuidingLife said...

I love St Pancras, beautiful building and good shops too. Lovely to have such wonderful friends.

Irene said...

I'm glad you had such a good time with your friends. Aren't they just the antidote for whatever ails you? It's a shame that you can't see them more often, say every three months? The day sounded wonderful.

Achelois said...

You say it all but I cannot help but say, I drooled over the menu in the brasserie. Reminding me that London is not all fumes and people banging into each other forgetting to apologise. I am such a country bumpkin. Isn't it great that the internet allows us to share where we went at special times. So pleased for you that you had a good time. Thank you for sharing. Every post I have read this evening has cheered me up, Thats why I love the blogosphere, the sharing. Thank you.

Nota Bene said...

It's a fabulous place, and how wonderful to have had friends for so many years

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Friends, I pity those who have none, very sad for some.

aims said...

How wonderful to meet with old friends. There is nothing quite like it is there.

I was recently told that I was like a wet old blanket - safe to be around.
It made me smile - just like this has.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

There is nothing as good as the company of friends, sitting at a pavement cafe, drinking the best coffee in the world, chatting and watching the world go by. Love it!

So glad you enjoyed your day!

Anna :o]

Ellen said...

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time with your two best friends. Old friendships are so rewarding, comfortable in the knowlege of each others history, each meeting-up an added chapter to life's winding story.

Furtheron said...

the hotel is now back open next door as well. Not been in but from the outside it looks fantastic! Walked passed it last week

Furtheron said...

the hotel is now back open next door as well. Not been in but from the outside it looks fantastic! Walked passed it last week